Sachin Tendulkar was born to play cricket: Dhoni

Paying tributes to Sachin Tendulkar who turns 37 on Saturday, Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said besides his batting exploits the veteran cricketer was a good fielder who is fitter than his age.

"He was born to play cricket. I won`t speak about his batting because everyone knows about it but he is a very good fielder and his fitness is such that you won`t feel he is 37," Dhoni said on the sidelines of a    Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar turns 37                     promotional event here today.

"Even in the dressing room he ensures that the newcomers feel comfortable around him," he added.

On Virender Sehwag, who has been ruled out of Twenty20 World Cup due to a shoulder injury, Dhoni said, "I don`t know anything about the injury. It happened during the IPL but I don`t know when and how the injury happened. He is a class player. But I have always said that injuries are part and parcel of sports."

"He and Gambhir have been doing a great job at the top of the innings. We just hope that Murali Vijay ensures that we won`t miss Sehwag much," he added.

On whether IPL nights were too much off a stress, Dhoni said, "All players are smart. You need to rest your body, especially an Indian cricketer needs to be very careful with the recovery in such a packed schedule. If you don`t take care, it will show immediately or a month later."

"I think all players know their body well. I don`t want to speak for other players but I am sure they make sure they are at their best," he added.


Commenting on his IPL side Chennai Super Kings reaching the semifinals for the third time, Dhoni said, "Any captain will like to get to semifinals early. But then we have managed that in all three editions and I am happy about that."

Dhoni said the most difficult aspect of being a captain was to maintain calm in pressure situations.

"If I stay cool and calm it helps the bowler. He looks up to me when things are not going right and if he finds me cool and calm then he gets more confidence. It doesn`t help if I go and yell at the players. In international cricket, body language is very important and I try and keep my emotions under check," he said.

The Indian skipper said that he is planning to establish a sports academy in Ranchi which was currently at a conceptual stage.

"I want to start a sports academy in Ranchi. It`s just in the planning stage. The land is still to be acquired. But sponsors are already coming forward," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment